Monday Madness: Proof of Margaret Hemphill’s Maiden Name

by Tonia Kendrick on July 27, 2009 in Most Wanted

I recently wrote about my decision to join the DAR.  The application requires evidence for each name, date, and place for each individual in the line from me to my patriot.  I have what I consider to be very good evidence for each fact; however, I am missing one, non-essential piece.  I can apply without this evidence, but I’m a perfectionist and I want my application to be as complete as possible.

I’m looking for proof that Thomas McEntire Hemphill‘s second wife, Margaret, was also a Hemphill by birth.  She is reported as the daughter of William Hemphill in the book Hemphills in North Carolina; the evidence, however, is anecdotal:

Miss Mary Greenlee also reported that her mother had the information that William Hemphill and Sarah Morrison were her great grandparents and the parents of Margaret Hemphill who married first a Dysart and secondly Thomas McEntire Hemphill.  According to Miss Greenlee, Thomas Bradshaw (Bratcher), son of Thomas McEntire Hemphill and his first wife reported that the parents of his stepmother, Margaret Hemphill, were William Hemphill and Sarah Morrison.1

If you have any documents proving Margaret’s maiden name – perhaps her father’s will, a family bible page, a marriage certificate, anything – please, please leave a comment.

1Hemphills in North Carolina, Margaret Hemphill Anthony, (Collegedale, Tennessee: The College Press, 1981), 45, 13 Dec 2008.

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Pat Plaxico August 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Hi Tonia, I just happened on your website
because I was helping one of my friend’s with
their DAR application. I saw your query for info
on the second wife of Thomas McEntire Hemphill. THe DAR National # 593637 lists his
second wife as Margaret H Dysart, b 30 Oct 1799 at Burke Co,NC; d 16 May 1862 at Old Fort, NC, married 1830. You have a number of
Revolutionary War Patriots including Heinrick
Weidner, John Dellinger, Buckner Kendrick.
I hope this helps. My best, Pat
PS I have Hemphill connections, but by marriage.

Tonia Kendrick August 20, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Hi Pat, thanks for the comments! Margaret’s first husband was James Young Dysart; that’s where they Dysart surname comes in. Thanks for the additional research also. : )

Pat Plaxico August 20, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Hi Tonia, I found in your family tree that Margaret Hemphill was buried at Ebenezer United Methodist Cemetery, McDowell Co.
I went to USGenWeb and found that WD Floyd
has read that cemetery and her tombstone says, Margaret Hemphill October 30, 1799
November 16, 1862 W/O Thos. Mc.
Her grave is located in Cemetery # 1. They are
also listed in the 1850 and 1860 censuses.
The 1860 Census has her age wrong so I would
use the 1850 Census for documentation. This
Census, the tombstone notation and the DAR
record of #593637 ( You will need to get a copy
of this. ) should be adequate proof of this
marriage.
My best, Pat

Becky Garrou June 9, 2011 at 10:59 am

Tonia,

I too am a descendent of Captain Thomas Lytle and I have him verified as a Patriot. If you would like to join the DAR or if you have already joined and would like to get a supplement with him, let me know.

Becky

Tonia Kendrick June 9, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Hi Becky, thanks for the comment. I am interested in joining, but I’m having trouble connecting with the local chapter. I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is an “at-large” membership, or maybe a state membership. Do you know if that is true?

Thanks,
Tonia

Mary Anne Price July 21, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Tonia, I just saw this posting and wondered if you have connected with DAR yet. There is an at-large membership possible. I am a DAR Registrar for a chapter. Also think I met you at IGHR last month at the Best Western–with Linda McCauley. If you will email me directly, will be glad to assist you.
Mary Anne Price