Nancy Patterson: Analysis of a Death Certificate

by Tonia Kendrick on October 4, 2010 in Analysis,And More,Research

Patterson genealogyI recently located the death certificate for Nancy Patterson, my third great grand-aunt.  This was a good find, providing new information as well as primary or secondary source citations for certain facts that I already knew.

New Information

Age at Death:  89 years 10 months 21 days

Birthplace:  Hall County

Marital Status:  Widow – note:  Nancy’s maiden name is Patterson and apparently her married name is, as well.

Informant:  J. V. Patterson – this may be her son.

Burial place:  Chestatee Church

Confirmations

Name:  Nancy Patterson

Death Date:  19 Aug 1919

Death Place:  Hall County, Georgia

Birth Date:  28 Nov 1829

Father’s Name:  Jack Patterson

Mother’s Name:  Jane Chapman

Research To-Dos

• Check Hall County Marriage Records.
  • Check Hall County Cemetery Records.

Source:  Hall County, Georgia, Death Certificates, no. 11172, Nancy Patterson, 1919; digital images, Georgia Archives, Georgia Death Certificates, 1919-1927 (http://cdm.sos.state.ga.us/cdm4/gadeaths.php : accessed 25 September 2010).

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

Linda Davis March 24, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I am researching the line of Samuel Patterson and Nancy Patterson, his wife and first cousin. I need documentation for a DAR application that Samuel was the son of Wm Patterson and Martha Welch. All are buried in Chestatee Cemetery in Hall County, GA. Photos of graves are on Find A Grave. If you are unable to help me, feel free to forward this not to someone else that might. Thank you for your time.

An old Bible or church record would be great!

Tonia Kendrick March 24, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I’m sorry, I don’t have any information on him. In fact, I didn’t know who Nancy’s husband was until this comment, so thank you.

Linda Davis March 24, 2011 at 9:59 pm

It looks like you don’t have this either on Nancy’s husband…sharing.

Samuel Patterson born 13 August 1826 died at Hall Co., GA on 05 January 1916
Nancy Patterson born 28 November 1829 died at Hall Co., GA on 19 August 1919

Samuel Patterson was the son of William Patterson born 17 December 1795 died at Bur: Forsyth Co.. GA on 16 April 1895
Martha Welch born 1798 died at Bur: Forsyth Co., GA on 24 November 1891

William Patterson and Nancy’s father “Jack” were son of
John Patterson born 08 February 1750 died at Pendleton., SC and Nancy Chapman born (e) 1769-1770 died at Dawson, Lumpkin Co., GA on aft 1850 census at Hall Co., GA

Tonia Kendrick March 24, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Thanks Linda! I only had one child belonging to Samuel’s parents, William and Martha, so this certainly helps to flesh out the tree.

Linda Davis March 24, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Samuel was the oldest sibling and of course, there was about a dozen of them in that time period!!! I don’t have the file with me tonight, but will get the actual documentation for your site later. Both the Chapman and Patterson goes back to a proven DAR patriots. Have you ever thought about joining?

Tonia Kendrick March 25, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Thanks, Linda. I did not know that the Pattersons and Chapmans went back to proven patriots. I have several other proven patriots in my ancestry. I have considered joining the DAR and actually have most of my paperwork ready. I can’t seem to hook up with the local chapter, though. The only time they’ve ever given me a meeting date, it was a lunch meeting with one day’s notice and I had work conflicts.

I seem to remember reading one time that there was a way to join at the state level, without going through a chapter. Do you know if that’s true?

Tonia Kendrick June 5, 2011 at 7:53 am

Hi Linda, I’m doing some research in the DAR online database. Can you tell me the names of the Chapman and Patterson patriots?

Thanks,
Tonia

Kathy January 19, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Did you ever get an aswer to this question? I would like to know too. ~ Thanks

Linda Davis March 25, 2011 at 2:56 pm

You can join nationally without going through a chapter…it is called member-at-large. The National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution website would have information on that. I could ask about you joining my chapter and then transferring to your local later. That might be easier. Do you know the name of your local chapter?

Linda Davis March 25, 2011 at 6:09 pm

RE Informant: J. V. Patterson – this may be her son.

I think this is correct: John Wm. Patterson born May 10, 1856 in Hall Co, GA was her son so that is J. W. Patterson instead of J. V. John married Eliza Ann Mauldin. He died in Atlanta in 1942.

Tonia Kendrick March 25, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Thanks, Linda! Both for the Patterson info and DAR info. My local chapter is the Robert Loughridge chapter in Chatsworth, GA.

Linda Davis March 25, 2011 at 7:31 pm

My chapter is the Amelia Island (FL) Chapter. I emailed the registrar about you earlier as I forward Nancy’s death certificate to her.

Donna Bejian March 27, 2011 at 7:26 am

I am so enjoying your website Tonia. I, too, have started the process of joining the DAR. Our common ancestors include the Whiteners (Weidner) and Powells. Good luck in your DAR membership. I have found your website very helpful and enjoy your blogs and posts.

Tonia Kendrick March 27, 2011 at 7:54 am

Thanks Donna!

Tonia Kendrick January 21, 2013 at 10:57 am

Hi Kathy, I don’t believe that I did. I don’t have any record of it in my database.

Kathy January 21, 2013 at 11:53 am

Did she give you an email add. I would like to ask her about the Chapman & Patterson patriots. Also, where did you find Nancy’s death cert. Is it online? Thank You for all your work. You’ve done a great job!