I promised myself that I would start writing research plans this year, specifically one per month. Here is my first attempt:
Objective: To locate a marriage license or other record of William West’s and Leaty Lankford’s marriage.
- They were married (as stated on both their death certificates).
- They had a two-year-old child on the 1870 census.
- They lived in Polk County, TN in 1870.
- Marriage date of 20 Nov 1866 in Polk County, according to Leaty’s application for a pension on William’s confederate service, said application dated 5 Jun 1928.
I think the Polk County courthouse burned in the 1890’s, so it is possible that any official record of their marriage was destroyed.
Working hypothesis: They were married 20 Nov 1866 in Polk County, TN.
- FamilySearch Database: Tennessee County Marriages, 1790-1950 (includes images)
- Family Search Database: Tennessee Marriages, 1796-1950 (no images)
- Ancestry Database: Tennessee State Marriages, 1780-2002
- Ancestry Database: Tennessee Marriages, 1851-1900
- FHL microfilm: Scrapbook history of Polk County, Tennessee – film 966946 Item 4
- Search the various online databases to see if a reference can be found.
- If the databases yield any results, visit Polk County courthouse to look for record.
- Order FHL film of Scrapbook history to look for a potential reference.
Any comments regarding potential sources or where to go next will be greatly appreciated.