- 31 Weeks to a Better Genealogy Blog
- #31WBGB: Write an Elevator Pitch for Your Blog
- #31WBGB: My Elevator Pitch
- #31WBGB: Make List Posts Work for Your Genealogy Blog
- #31WBGB: Promote a Blog Post
- #31WBGB: Analyze a Top Genealogy Blog
- #31WBGB: Contact a Reader
- #31WBGB: 27 Must-Read Tips for Genealogy Bloggers
- #31WBGB: Write a Link Post
- #31WBGB: Interlink Your Old Blog Posts
- #31WBGB: Participate in an Online Genealogy Group
- #31WBGB: Set Up Monitoring Alerts
- #31WBGB: Come Up With 10 Post Ideas
- #31WBGB: Develop an Editorial Calendar
- #31WBGB: Update a Key Page
- #31WBGB: Find a Blog Buddy
- #31WBGB: Solve a Problem
Our topic this week is learning from successful bloggers.
If you are following along in the e-book 31 Days to Build a Better Blog (affiliate link), Darren provides links to 27 blog posts by nine different bloggers. I’ve included some of those links below, but I’ve also added in some different ones that resonated more with me.
You may not have time to read all 27 posts; if not, pick a few that jump out at you and bookmark this post to come back to at another time. In fact, it may be better NOT to try to read all these at one sitting, lest you go into information-overload.
- A Sample Blogging Workflow
- 27 Blogging Secrets to Power Your Community
- 40 Ways to Deliver Killer Blog Content
- 50 Ways to Take Your Blog to the Next Level
- How to Write Headlines That Work
- How to Write an Article in 20 Minutes
- 8 Incredibly Simple Ways to Get More People to Read Your Content
- 8 Tips for Building Community on Your Blog
- How to Keep Your Blog Active While Traveling
- Why Your Next Post Should Be a Short One
- How to Craft a Blog Post – 10 Crucial Points to Pause
- 26 Blog Design Tips for Non-Techies and Non-Designers
- 101+ Killer Blog Post Ideas
- How to Turn a Lousy Blog Headline into a Great One
Social Media Examiner
- How to Keep Your Readers Coming Back to Your Blog
- 7 Tips to Create Better Blog Posts
- 17 Ways to Grow Your Blog From Top Bloggers
- 26 Ways to Enhance Your Blog Content
Pro Blog Design
Reviewz ‘n’ Tips
- How Southern Hospitality Can Boost Blog Traffic
- Want a Better Blog Tomorrow Morning? Do These 6 Things Tonight
A Last Bit of Advice from Me
A lot of these posts were written by professional bloggers, which most of us are not. Don’t get overwhelmed by all of these tips and by the amount of time the writers seem to spend on their blogs. Take the advice that speaks to you and temper it to fit your timeframes and blogging style.
- Jot down 3-5 key points from the reading that you want to apply to your blog.
If you are just joining us, then “welcome.” You can read the kick-off post about 31 Weeks to a Better Genealogy Blog here. Feel free to start with this week’s reading and action items – you are not behind.
This week’s prize is a Legacy Family Tree Webinar (affiliate link) on CD called “Blogging for Beginners” presented by DearMYRTLE. The description of this webinar from the Legacy site says:
Step-by-step approach to creating a blog, and making postings using the free service at Blogger.com. A great way to share genealogy research, post your society’s newsletter, share info with extended family members. The webinar will also feature a survey of sample blogs, and links for additional help.
If you’d like to enter for a chance to win this webinar, leave a comment on this entry with a few bits of blogging-wisdom you learned from this week’s reading. You must be a US resident to win. The contest ends at 11:59pm on Saturday, August 13, 2011. Winner will be drawn randomly.