11 Must-Have Apps for Genealogy

As more people carry smart phones and tablets on a daily basis, we want to be able to use those devices in our genealogy research.

Here are few apps that I could not live without (note: I use Apple devices, so this post will not cover Android and other operating systems; however, please leave comments about ANY of your favorite apps).

1. Maps – this is essential when I’m on a genealogy road-trip, for finding cemeteries, courthouses, places to have lunch, etc.
  2. Evernote – Evernote is my go-to app for storing everything, so it includes all kinds of genealogy notes that I may need to access.
  3. Goodreads – I keep a list of genealogy books that I own and a wish-list of books I want to buy.  This prevents me from buying duplicates and ensures that if the opportunity arises, I have the exact name and author of books that I want to purchase.
  4. Gedview – this is a handy little app that lets you upload a gedcom from your desktop genealogy program.
  5. RootsMagic – this lets me access my actual RootsMagic file via Dropbox.
  6. Dropbox – I like to keep my genealogy photos in my Dropbox account, so that I can show them off if the conversation turns to family history.
  7. Ancestry.com – I love being able to view my source documents no matter where I am.
  8. WordPress – I mostly use this for reading and responding to comments on my genealogy blogs throughout the day, although you can do more.  It’s so much easier to stay on top of things.
  9. Flipboard – I use this to stay on top of my Twitter feed and read posts from the many genealogy blogs that I follow.
  10. Toodledo – this is a task-tracking app that I use for all my to-dos, genealogy and otherwise.
  11. Instagram – I use Instagram for genealogy purposes when I’m in cemeteries that have old, worn headstones.  I can add a note with the name on the headstone, so that if I can’t read it in the photo, I still know whose stone it is.

I use other apps, as well, but these are my faves for genealogy.

What apps can’t you live without?  Let us know in the comments.

Comments

1. says

Hi Tonia. Thanks for the inspiration, I got motivated to finally get into GoodReads; uploaded 55 books in just a few minutes. I am a recent convert to Dropbox (I had previously used other services) but it really is great to be in a library, think of a picture or document you need, and pull it up on your iphone.
    The only thing I could add here would be a podcasts app to listen to GenealogyGuys or to Marian Pierre-Louis’ 2 new podcast series.
    Good list; those are some of my favorites!
    Diane Boumenot´s last blog post ..The Civil War Letters of William Wilberforce Douglas

• Tonia Kendrick says

Good thought about podcast apps, Diane. I listen to them on my iPod, so I wasn’t in that mode when I wrote this. I’m glad you like Goodreads. It’s so easy to use, isn’t it?

2. says

Tonia,
    I attended two of your classes at Roots Tech 2013. Your Evernote presentation was outstanding. I had downloaded the program but could never really figure it out. I am so excited to try it.
    I also attended your class on Content Planning. I recently set up my website with a chapter for blogging, but it just seemed so overwhelming I was afraid to try. Thanks for taking a little bit of the fear out of it! I’m excited to give it a try.
    Kim

• Tonia Kendrick says

Hi Kim! I’m glad you enjoyed the classes. My best advice about Evernote is just to use it. The more you do, the more you’ll realize how useful it really is. And don’t let blogging intimidate you. Start writing about what YOU want to write about and you’ll be fine.

3. Dan says

I would recommend checking out Gtdagenda for an online GTD manager.

You can use it to manage your goals, projects and tasks, set next actions and contexts, use checklists, and a calendar.
    Syncs with Evernote, and also comes with mobile-web version, and Android and iPhone apps.

4. Carla Frett says

Hey Tonia,

You can also consider task management app from Replicon. The app is cloud based with user friendly interface as well as calender based. The database maintained in a perfect manner with absolute accuracy.

Hope you consider listing that as well.

Thanks